Saturday, September 8, 2012

Book to Film Adaptations I Want to See

"Which is better, the book or film?' may be a pointless question for some, but nevertheless still begs to be asked every time a book to film adaptation is made. Answering that question becomes even more relevant when the adaptation is of a book that's loved by many or when it holds prime real estate on your bookshelf like some of the titles below surely are. Here are seven of those book to film adaptations I can't wait to see on the big screen.

Cloud Atlas


I highly recommend reading the book first or whenever you get the time. It's not an easy read (I got a serious case of vocabulary envy early into the book, heck Mitchell even created his own futuristic English), but it is completely worthwhile; like getting six stylistically varied yet all well-written short stories (Robert Forbisher's letters being my favorite) in one seamless compilation. It will be interesting to see how the Wachowskis (of The Matrix Trilogy fame) and Tom Tykwer adapted the different time frames and storylines of the novel into the film version. In the book, the narrative begins by following a chronological sequence from the 19th century to a post-apocalyptic future from where, it then proceeds in a reverse chronology, so that the book begins and ends in the 19th century. This worked beautifully in the book, even managing to emphasize the common thread running through each of the six stories, but I can imagine how messy that narrative pattern will be when translated into a movie. Imagine having to traverse through six different climaxes and resolutions (hmm on second thought..). So big props to the screenwriters and directors if ever they pull this one off, actually, for even attempting this ambitious film adaptation. 

Perks of Being a Wallflower


Ok, here's the deal. Young Adult books have that special place in my heart, which basically means every film adaptation from the YA genre gets measured by a very personal yardstick. It's not just about, "hey, does this stack up against my imagination?", like how I'd pit most stories to, but to a great extent is about putting it up against my own stories or experiences of getting comfortable in my own skin, trying to fit in, dealing with the highs and the torment of first love and first heartbreak. It's just that, basing on the trailer, I have major qualms about the movie. Casting-wise, I feel that the only thing they got right is that guy from 'We Need to Talk About Kevin', Ezra Miller, as Patrick. The characters of Sam, Patrick, and Charlie are people you've met at one point in your life, they could even have been you in your younger years, but Watson's and Lerhman's portrayals look foreign, as if someone played with your world and inhabited it with people you don't recognize. On the plus side though, Stephen Chbosky, the author of Perks, got to write the screenplay and direct the movie, so we can at least hope for some fidelity with the novel.

Les Miserables

So far this has been Anne Hathaway's year. After giving us the best Catwoman who has ever graced the screen, in the box office hit The Dark Knight Rises, she returns with one of the most vied for roles in theater, that of the girl with glorious locks and perfect teeth, Fantine. I'm less than halfway through the book and have never seen it on stage, so really there's no point of comparison for me. Is it bad that my first taste of a Les Mis production will be on the big screen?  But, but I've looked through all the actors who've played Jean Valjean and none of them is as smokin' as Hugh Jackman. And what about that Eddie Redmayne guy? whooo. Trumps all your "I am so culturally superior" arguments. 

Anna Karenina


Keira Knightley is one of my favorite actresses. I promise to read the novel before the movie comes out. 

The Great Gatsby

I haven't read this one, but the trailer showed what promises to be an over the top production ala Moulin Rouge. If that's the case, then, good. It doesn't hurt that Leo Di Caprio and Carey Mulligan are in the cast too.

The Hobbit

I never bothered to finish any of the LOTR movies, although the cinematography was undoubtedly breathtaking. Tolkien's prose was too much for me (I was bored to death).  Needless to say i'm not exactly a fan of the Jackson/Tolkien tandem, but we'll see. After all, The Hobbit is the only Tolkien book I've finished and relished. I'd dare say it has everything to do with that hobbit Bilbo Baggins.

Great Expectations

I don't think you can ever go wrong doing a film adaptation of Dickens' works. His propensity for detail is known far and wide, so it doesn't surprise me one bit that everything on the trailer is also exactly what I had in mind. You know how they made a wrong call with the kid they cast in 'Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close" and it just ruined the whole thing? Well I'm glad to tell you that young Pip here is exactly how anyone would think him to be.


How about you? Do you have anything to add to this list? Or maybe a book you would like to see made into a film?

No comments:

Post a Comment