Monday, August 13, 2012

Let Me Read to You : I Have Dreamed of You so Much

Today I'm striking off one thing from my to-do list, yey! For a long time now I've had this idea for a mini-project where I record myself and other people reading our favorite poems or book excerpts. I guess it stemmed from my habit of highlighting, re-writing, and constantly re-reading passages that have really made an impact on me. So I thought, instead of doing all of that, why not just keep an audio recording that I can return to easily time and again? Of course, even as I say that, I am completely aware that I will still continue to re-write and re-read, but whatever, maybe it's just the pleasure of listening to myself.

I'll be starting with one of my favorite poems, this one by Robert Desnos, "I Have Dreamed of You so Much". I know I flubbed thrice (by my count) and failed to do it justice, but please, this was only my first try :)





I know other people have done this thing way ahead of me, but i'm just excited to share this with people in my circle and hear them read their favorite pieces. That the texts they'll be reading are highly personal and of their own choosing will surely add color and nuance to every resulting audio. I can only imagine how beautiful that will be.

In time I plan to broaden the scope of my recordings to include an analysis of the text or maybe just a brief explanation on why it moves me. For now though, this will do. On to the next piece, Neruda's 'If You Forget About Me'.

No comments:

Post a Comment