Sunday, August 12, 2012

The Return of the Fangirl : Purple and Gold Love

Hey there! It's been a while since I last made a hoops related post, and I have to admit it has everything to do with my Lakers's dismal showing for most of the last NBA season. There's only so much heartache a fangirl can take, you know?

But as you all know by now, that is about to change as the biggest trade of the off-season took place yesterday. (allow me to go all-caps on you as I make my celebratory statement) DWIGHT HOWARD IS NOW A LAKER, BABY!

(photo credit: Posterizes)


Sweet.

I was really sure this would happen about two months ago but then the whole "dwama" took so many unexpected turns and road bumps making it over-bearing and stale. I lost interest especially since the additions of Nash and Jamison already upgraded the roster, and Bynum was a tolerable center anyway (when he's not acting like an over-sized kid, oh which he is).

Mitch Kupchack getting his Liam Neeson on (Great job!)


I was content, to say the least, but not jumping for joy as i'd imagine the Heat and OKC fans were doing.  That is, until Adrian Wojnarowski (just call him Woj, my personal barometer for truth when it comes to NBA news) tweeted something about a four team trade that will land Howard to the Lakers. It got my hopes up, but then I learned from the CP3 trade and knew better, if he ain't in purple and gold yet, I will not celebrate and make a complete fool of myself.

You better believe it now, DH12 is in the LAKESHOW!


It was only when the Internet exploded (drowning out even the basketball semis in the Olympics) that my fangirling went into full gear as I went through meme after meme, watched every video discussing the trade, pored through every article, and gave each Laker fan a cyber-fistpump as we go from 'old, slow, can't keep up with the young guns" to "a beast that's most likely to take home the Larry O'Brien trophy next season". Hell yeah, life is in dazzling purple and gold these days.

Team to beat! LA all the way!




I won't go on and pretend that I know the intricacies of the impact that Howard will have on the Lakers so let me leave that to those who are truly in the know:

 
Arash Markazi talks about how the Los Angeles Lakers are suddenly the team to beat again

Bill Plaschke gives props to the Lakers organization for its dedication to keep on winning

And my personal favorite, Bill Simmons -Celtics fan and Clippers season ticket holder - sounding a tad fearful about this "winning" Lakers team. (He makes a great breakdown of the winners and losers of the trade though, so read it! As for me, I'm just enjoying that smell of fear) 


Can't wait til November, uh actually, make that June (yabang!). My Lakers are going to be great and this fangirl will surely have a hella fun time watching all of it. 




 


No comments:

Post a Comment